Max's Café was built in 1890 as a shoe store. In 1912, 34 North Burlington Street reopened as Leisinger's Saloon for the next 25 years even through prohibition (as a "soft drink establishment"). In 1937, Leisinger's Saloon passed through the family & was renamed Max's Cafe; it’s name for the next 65 years. In 1977, a new simply prepared fresh seafood menu transformed Max's Cafe into Max’s Seafood Café. The neighboring building was acquired to seat the growing number of patrons from both sides of the Delaware River, often forming lines around the corner, waiting to enjoy fresh flounder, shrimp, clams, & most of all, Steamed Mussels! Max's reputation grew for the next 22 years before age & neglect left it in a state of disrepair. The bar restaurant closed in July of 1998 & remained dormant for 2 ½ years. Refurbished in late 2000, Max's Seafood Cafe reopened on June 2, 2001 to continue its tradition of hospitality, impeccably fresh seafood, & most of all steamed mussels.